Friday 24 August 2007

Seriously, I feel like I should be in Disney World floating past little mechanical mannequins that look like a conglomeration of all the people in the world. Or at least, the sound track should be my accompaniment. I walk into my first night of youth work level 2 training, and this lady looks really familiar, but I can't place her, so I think it's just one of those weird things. Until she introduces herself and I realize that she was my ninth grade history teacher. I am in BELFAST, 3000 miles away from home, and living 2 minutes away from a teacher I haven't seen in 10 years, who happens to be working with young people, and just now getting the local level youth worker qualification. Come on now, what are the chances?

The rest of the day seems mundane beyond that, but it was good. We helped with a funday in the park- playing twister and frisbee with kids and young people all day. It was great, warm, sunny, except for the £2 I payed for chips, which was just nuts. I think I am really having trouble remembering to live on a volunteer budget; all these goodbye parties don't help either. Meals out all day, two pubs and a taxi ride home just hurt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a sketchy blog reader. I hereby identify myself. I love you!
Love,
Kristin

Anonymous said...

yeah I remember when I was better at budgeting, and I had more money then too! September just started and I've already spent $20 which is about 1/6 of my allowence-ha