Wednesday 17 September 2008

confessions

I've just started catching up on the speeches, forums, and media appearances of McCain and Obama. I would never in a million years consider myself politically minded, rather, I'm really, really trying to raise above my innate apathy toward politics. Living internationally during the most- hyped American presidential election of my lifetime has made me feel like I need to know my stuff. My European friends know more about it, and have stronger opinions, than I have. And, I've actually sometimes wondered... America has SUCH an influence around the world, maybe the international community should have some sort of wee small percentage vote. Hum. That's probably not a patriotic thing to say.... (confession #1)

Confession #2: I've been caught up in the hype. It's exciting to me that we have two historic tickets. I love that when I was in college my social worker classmates were dreaming of a time when Obama would run, and here it is. And, regardless of her qualifications, it's pretty exciting to me to see an "every woman" on a ticket- I mean, that's the embodiment of the American Dream isn't it? Ever since Mr. Malo's eighth grade civics class I have LOVED "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" and while Jimmy Stewart wasn't in line to be President, the idea of a normal person, someone outside of the system getting involved makes me smile a little (Matt Damon does make an interesting case, though, for the "really bad Disney Movie" side of the coin).

Confession #3: I watched both acceptance speeches... and got a little teary eyed at both. Obama is good. He's inspiring, he's intriguing, he makes me feel like it's a real possibility that he could get into office and make everything wonderful. (That's the problem with a good orator, I suppose. There's more to government than pretty words.) But McCain. Ah. It killed me. There are things I like McCain for. I respect him for his story (although, I'd kinda like to hear the post-Vietnam chapters, too), and I think he, too, could be a breath of fresh air for America. But his closing words made me really sad, and I wondered if they made God sad, too.

Here's what he said (from http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94302894):
"I'm going to fight for my cause every day as your president. I'm going to fight to make sure every American has every reason to thank God, as I thank him: that I'm an American, a proud citizen of the greatest country on Earth, and with hard work, strong faith and a little courage, great things are always within our reach. Fight with me. Fight with me.
Fight for what's right for our country.
Fight for the ideals and character of a free people.
Fight for our children's future.
Fight for justice and opportunity for all.
Stand up to defend our country from its enemies.
Stand up for each other; for beautiful, blessed, bountiful America.
Stand up, stand up, stand up and fight. Nothing is inevitable here. We're Americans, and we never give up. We never quit. We never hide from history. We make history.
Thank you, and God bless you."

I wish he could have exchanged every "fight" with "love." How much more power could we have in the world if we loved together. If we loved for what's right for our country. If we loved for ideals and character of a free people. If we loved for our children's future. If we loved for justice and opportunity for all. If we stood up to love our enemies. If we stood up to love each other; to love beautiful, blessed, bountiful America. If we stood up, stood up, stood up and loved. Nothing is inevitable here. We're Americans, and we never give up loving. We never quit loving. We never hide from a history that lacked loved, but we make history by loving our fellow man. Thank you, and may America bless God.

That's a candidate I would vote for, hands down.

2 comments:

Biblia said...

Listen to you with all your love talk. You're sounding like a Christian again. :-P

Keep the confessions coming, girlie! I'm still trying to figure out my absentee vote...

Unknown said...

Wow Allison! I can't believe you wrote that....just because it was political. =) I loved your thoughts. I actually made both of my parents read it.