Saturday 13 October 2007

Apparently Halloween is the whole month of October over here. It's firecracker and fireworks time (which makes our detached walks that much more exciting). And tonight I had trick-or-treaters. I've got to admit, the boys were cute. All in costume and make-up, with their plastic pumpkin pail, they sang me an enitre wee song. I checked their bucket, and they had some Haribo sweets and a handful of coins, so I emptied my wallet of the one and two p coins that were weighing it down. Afterward, I sent a text to my friend, a native of Belfast, to make sure trick-or-treating happens on the 31st here and she said yes. Apparently, kids will go out all month to collect easy change. And I was a gullible foreigner... needless to say, when the two girls knocked on my door an hour later (older sisters, I presume), I reminded them that Halloween is October 31st and told them to come back then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allison, half of our clients are working at a haunted house down the street from the shelter. One is agoraphobic and paranoid schizophrenic and I pointed out that it might be uncomfortable for him to be in a thick crowd in the dark. He said no, it's therapeutic for him, because instead of being scared, he's the one scaring THEM when he chases them with a meat cleaver. Ha.