Sunday 28 October 2007

I am watching Newsies as I write, so please excuse my typos and random bursts of song...

Today in Europe we set our clocks back. The end of Daylight Savings Time is always bittersweet: sweet for the extra hour of sleep (which mean I did NOT oversleep for church as originally thought), but bitter because it is 5:09 pm and nearly dark. The last Sunday in March is a long way away.

In chuch today was Boys Brigade Sunday. I suppose BB is basically the Boy Scouts of Britian, except that it is a specifically Christian organization. Because of that, they sang the National Anthem, "God Save the Queen." It wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as when I was in the GAA club with the Irish National Anthem. Is it because, technically speaking, "God Save our Queen" IS the national anthem and, technically speaking, the Union Jack IS the national flag, or is it some unfounded and unconscious bias? Why should either effect me as a neutral foreign national (and from a country that absconded from the Queen at that?)

****

Yesterday (all day) was the leaving do for the several staff members who are leaving. Those people know how to party. The shindig began with Chinese at a nice restuarant. I don't know how I do it, but I always end up accidentally ordering the same thing, and then wishing I had ordered what someone else does. And then the next time, I end up ordering the honey and chili sauce, again. When we're out for Chinese next, PLEASE remind me to try something better! After that we moved up to a super swanky new bar for the next...FIVE? SIX? hours? I couldn't keep up and left early, but had several great conversations. The best part of the night, though, was the phone call from the party that I wasn't at. Dixie girls, it was SO fabulous to hear from you, THANKS for the call, I am still so bummed that I couldn't be there.

****

The Belfast Wheel will be opening soon. I'm taking a poll- is it worth £6 for the experience?


****

I saw "Once" last week. (Does a movie's title go in quotations?) It's a low budget indie film, filmed in Dublin. The lead in the frontman of The Frames, and the movie is FABULOUS. You need to like the music, because that is the plot, but if you're into Damien Rice and other wine and candle type music, check it out.

That's this week's excitement. Oh, right, I did get a haircut this week! Only, it's not photoworthy, because it's more of a trim than the dramatic cut I was anticipating. At least it's a start to fixing the awfulness of the last haricut... But if you're needing more excitment, check out the other blogs in the links to the left. They have great stories to share.

3 comments:

Miss Scarlet said...

I want to see that movie.

Anonymous said...

If you wait until May I'll pay the 6 (don't know where the cute little symbol is) pounds for the ride.
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

It was great to get to call you! Sorry you weren't there but the wedding will be soon enough! As for the ride- the London Eye was neat once I knew the area and knew what I was/should be seeing where so I would say it's worth it but definitely know what you should see while you are up!
Love ya,
~Britt