Wednesday 5 December 2007

Updated Top Ten Things I Love About Belfast

1. sitting in the front row of the top level of a double decker bus
2. in one day it can be rainy, sunny, partly cloudy, windy
3. they know how to wear their scarfs
4. chai lattes with tea AND coffee
5. knowing that i have friends in the little white house on black mountain that can be seen from everywhere in belfast and has the best view in all of belfast (even better than the castle)
6. photo shoots on the grounds of a castle/big house
7. the Secret Millionare tv program(me)
8. Brit Rock, Pop and Boy Bands
9. finally beginning to understand their language
10. complimentary coffee, tea and mince pies

****
I'm not good with the word ironic, even though Mrs Nelson would cry to hear that. This seems ironic, let me if know that's true. Thanks.

Last night we had a facilitator in from NICEM (Northern Ireland Council for Ethnic Minorities). She did the island exercise with the yp: you have 20 character profiles and have to pick 12 to go to an island where they will live in isolation for 50 years as they start a new society. As I'm listening to various groups discuss, I hear a debate about bringing clergy. One yp says "yea, bring the clergy man because religion unites people together." The faciliator (also an American, but she's been in Belfast for several years) and I chuckle to hear that coming out of the mouth of a Catholic male living on an interface in Northern Ireland...

2 comments:

Heather said...

hilarious. yes, i think that's irony-don't you worry about nelson.

Biblia said...

I love your top ten!! Sending love down to you from our little white house, and hoping you'll post castle and cookie pictures soon. And bug Manuel about sending me his link.