Tuesday 3 July 2007

Belfast Time

I'm learning that time is a fluid thing here. Plans aren't so rigid, you gotta just go with it. The only plan for today was to tour City Hall. I did a lot of other things, but never made it to City Hall. Good thing I have a bit more time to try and get there. Instead, I hung out with A, a FS volunteer who's actually from Belfast. We ran some errands, had lunch in a great sandwich shop (cheese is all shredded, they ask if you want butter and mayo, and lettuce/tomato/cucumber all fall under "salad?" it was all a bit confusing), checked out this fabulous portrait studio (http://www.thisisventure.co.uk/), a boutique or two, and ended at Starbucks. It was really good quality time to get to know her before she heads of for holiday in America.

This evening I met up with two other Belfast BVers, M and B, who work on Black Mountain at a cross community center. There's actually 5 international volunteers there right now, so they invited me to join them for Shrek the Third. Crazy Tuesday = £2.50 movies. I still didn't love the movie a second time around, but it was really great to get out of the house for the evening and meet people who I've know through email and by name for months.

I actually have to go into work tomorrow, I suppose that's what I'm here for- but I head to Germany on Saturday for a retreat with all of the European volunteers (all nine of us...). More about that later...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey...are you excited about Germany??? You go this Saturday?